Today we post our monthly statistics report showing the most popular social networking sites in Australia over the May 2017 period. The general measurement we look for is the number of monthly active users, but also include data showing the number of daily active users where available.
As we come into the winter months we do see a slight seasonal shift in social media use. Not so many holidays on the beach or outdoors as we stay at work and take a less amount of time off to enjoy social activities.
In some other interesting news Facebook have revealed that 12 million Australians use Facebook on a daily basis.
Social Media Statistics Australia – May 2017
1. Facebook – 17,000,000 Monthly Active Australian Users (steady)
2. YouTube – 15,300,000 UAVs
3. WordPress.com – 5,300,000
4. Instagram – 5,000,000 Monthly Active Australian Users (FB/ Instagram data)
5. Snapchat – 4,000,000 DAILY Active Australian Users (Snapchat data)
6. LinkedIn – 4,000,000 Monthly Active Australian Users approx
7. Tumblr – 3,700,000
8. WhatsApp – 3,100,000 Active Australian Users (30% increase since 2015)
9. Twitter – 3,000,000 Monthly Active Australian Users approx
10. TripAdvisor – 2,600,000
11. Tinder – 2,400,000 Australian users (my estimation)
12. WeChat – 2,000,000 Monthly Active Australian Users approx – (my estimation)
14. Yelp – 1,500,000
13. Blogspot- 1,400,000
15. Flickr – 480,000
16. Pinterest – 280,000
17. Reddit – 100,000
18. MySpace – 80,000
19. Google Plus – 60,000 Monthly active Australian users approx – (my estimation)
20. RenRen – 50,000 Monthly Active Australian Users approx – (my estimation)
21. StumbleUpon – 39,000
22. Weibo – 20,000 Monthly Active Australian Users approx – (my estimation)
23. Foursquare/Swarm – 11,000
24. Digg – 10,000
25. Periscope – 9,000
26. Delicious – 7,000
(All figures represent the number of Unique Australian Visitors [UAVs] to that website over the monthly period – unless otherwise stated above. Facebook Data includes users of desktop, mobile, application and messenger services).
Australian Facebook Users As A Percentage Of The Total Population
According to the Australian Bureau of Statistics Population Clock there are approximately 24.4 million Australians.
Facebook’s recent data shows there are now 17 million active Australians on Facebook. Therefore approximately 70% of the total Australian population is an active Facebook user. This is a huge number.
Penetration of the Australian Population
- 7 in 10 Australians use Facebook
- 1 in 2 Australians use Facebook on a daily basis
- 1 in 2 Australians use YouTube
- 1 in 5 Australians use Instagram
- 1 in 6 Australians use Snapchat
Global Stats of Interest
- Facebook Monthly Active Users (Worldwide) – 1.86 billion
- Facebook Daily Active Users (Worldwide) – 1.23 billion
- Instagram Monthly Active Users (Worldwide) – 600 million
- LinkedIn Registered Users (Worldwide) – 467 million
- Snapchat Daily Active Users (Worldwide) – 161 million
Key Points to Note:
- Approx 50% of the Australian population logs into Facebook on a daily basis.
- A significant proportion of the Chinese community in Australia use Chinese social media tools like WeChat, RenRen and Weibo.
- LinkedIn now reports there are 8 million registered users in Australia, according to our research around half of this number log in every month.
- 70% of the total Australian population is an active monthly user on Facebook.
- 1 in 2 Australians watch YouTube videos
- Blogging platforms such as WordPress while they don’t get the publicity like other networks still attractive a lot of users and readers on a monthly basis. Generally this is from people viewing free wordpress.com websites created by students, professionals, companies, artists, media consutlants, and just your average internet users looking for their own space and website on the internet. This data does not include wordpress.org sites.